Friday, April 20, 2012

JT's Take: Justice League #8 with Brightest Day Rules

Hey X-Maniacs, JT here once again with a very in-frequent post. Some of you may have noticed I haven't been around much, due to the fact I'm usually busy, lazy, or X has already reviewed the books I planned on reviewing, that damn Hippie. In my absence from this blog, I've taken over the Uncanny Scan blog, so feel free to drop by and see what I post daily over there. But enough of that, today I'm doing what was requested by you readers, a review of the Justice League comic book using Brightest Day Rules! What are Brightest Day Rules you ask? Oh, you didn't ask? Well refresh your memory anyway by clicking here. Now that you're all caught up, let's get things started!

Justice League #8

Summary:  After some prodding by the Government to add someone new to the Justice League, Green Arrow runs into the League during a fight with Amazo. He asks to be on the team and is supported by Superman but Green Lantern and Aquaman don't want Arrow on the team. The Justice League then takes Amazo's body to decommission him and leave Arrow standing there. After that we jump forward a week to see the Justice League fighting the Talons because they want to make sure everyone reads Batman. Green Arrow decides to crash the party but is once again left standing by himself once the League moves out. The following week Green Arrow helps again and is told to back off by Aquaman, because they have a past that neither of them will mention. Afterwards, we see Steve Trevor meet with Green Arrow, and they argue, with Arrow saying the League needs him as a social compass because they're not really Superheroes. Okay... We later see the League talking about Green Arrow and how they don't need a new member, and what happened the last time they allowed someone in, we then see a scene of a fight between the League and Martian Manhunter. Interesting. The issue closes with the League discussing Martian Manhunter as he listens from afar and states "They're not prepared." Also, there was an awesome SHAZAM comic at the end of this book, words can't describe how great it is, basically is Billy Batson was Damian Wayne, that's how he's written here.


Thoughts: Okay, Let's see... -20 for taking a major baddie like Amazo down off-screen! +5 for a question about Batman being answered with the sentence "He's Batman." That's all you really need. -10 for the stupid idea that every 1,000 times Cyborg teleports the League with his Boom Tube technology they end up in Apokalips and it's already happened twice. Stop using it you idiots! -5 For them finding out they've used it over 1,000 times since they were last sent to Apokalips, proclaimed they were overdue, and continued to use it. -3 for Green Arrow being shown as a fanboy instead of a Hero. +5 for Green Lantern being sick of Green Arrow already. +15 for the awesome line Green Arrow said that earned Line of the issue as seen below. -10 for them dragging out this past between Aquaman and Green Arrow by mentioning it three times in this one issue. -25 for Batman not being with the League while they fought the Talons but magically being with them when they left. -100 for the stupidity that the Court of Owls thing is happening present day, yet Hal Jordan is Green Lantern in this even though Sinestro is the Green Lantern of this Sector currently. Boom, continuity bomb bitch! +15 for how happy Wonder Woman was that she could use her sword on the Talon's since they aren't technically alive. -10 for Steve Trevor waiting in Green Arrow's secret base like he's Batman or something. +30 for the awesome scene with the League and Martian Manhunter, and +15 for that actually making me interested in this book. +5 for of everyone in that splash page with the League vs. Martian Manhunter fight that we of course got the view from behind Wonder Woman, go feminism! Lastly, +15 for the awesome but short SHAZAM story at the end, I'd much rather buy that book than this.

Score:  -78 out of 10! Not too shabby Justice League! You guys actually stayed in the double digits!

Green Lantern: We've already got one guy who can't do anything. If Batman sprains his ankle we'll call you.

Well this was fun, I'm looking forward to the next one. Any recommendations for other books to get the BDR treatment? Feel free to let me know in the comments, and that's it for me guys and gals, until next time, this is JT, signing off!

18 comments:

  1. ok no disrepect but i am really sick of the Brightest day rules, this comic diserved 7 of 10 of a normal rating for the art by ivan reis on the martian manhunter stuff alone! then adding to that the story and intreagingness of that scene, plus the badass shazam story(HAWK AND DOVE GOT ITS OWN BOOK BUT THIS SHAZAM STUFF DIDNT FUUUCK YOOUUUU! DC FUCK YOU)
    this issue absolutly deserved to get a regualr rated review!

    "-10 for Steve Trevor waiting in Green Arrow's secret base like he's Batman or something"
    that scene was awesome man!

    ok question what past history do Aqua and arrow have that shouldnt be brought up???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason I even READ this book was because people asked for BD Rules since the last few issues were so damn terrible. There's no way a book deserves a seven for the art alone, especially when the artist screws up and draws Batman in a scene he isn't it originally.

    Also, I said I liked the SHAZAM story, but considering this is Justice League I rated it that way, if I was rating the SHAZAM comic and it was an actual comic and not like ten pages then it would've probably gotten a seven.

    I didn't like it because I don't care for Steve Trevor and his mysterious past that I'm supposed to be curious about but couldn't care less.

    Who knows in this new screwed up rebooted DC, I'd have to guess Aquaman found him on the island he perfected his archery on if Ollie still has the same backstory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAIT... HOLD ON MAN when/where/how did the JL vs MM hunter happen before that batman wasnt in originaly? i just posted a thread on comic book reseorce about that scene asking about what do people think happend to caues it and what will come of this in the future, but no one mentioned that this scene was from a previous story? i thought this was a new developmed from the re written history of dc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant earlier in the issue when the League fought the Court of Owls, Batman was talking to Cyborg remotely, and the League, minus Batman, shows up and fights the Talons, yet when the thing explodes, Batman is inexplicably there.

    And it is a new development from the reboot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey JT, did you hear anything about the whole "Trinity War" thing? I just posted something about it on my blog. I wanna know what your thoughts are? :P

      http://opinionsreviewsandpreviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/trinity-war-dcs-2013-event-semi.html

      Delete
    2. Great read Caz, just checked it out and left ya a comment.

      Delete
  5. "but i am really sick of the Brightest day rules" Um... JT DID say in the title of this post that he was gonna be using Brightest Day Rules to score this issue, Movieartman. Mainly because a bunch of commenters from JL #7 requested it... If you hate reading posts with BDR's, then you probably shouldn't have read this one...

    Anyway, as an affirmed hater of all things Chairman Johns and the Justice League, I naturally loved this review! And hey, this issue was way better than several issues of Brightest Day score-wise, so that's an accomplishment... In a way...

    Just wanted to add that this: "-5 For them finding out they've used it over 1,000 times since they were last sent to Apokalips, proclaimed they were overdue, and continued to use it." had me laughing pretty hard... "Hey Supes?" "Yes Saint Barry?" "You know, we're WAY past due for something bad happening if we use that Boom Tube again..." "But it makes travel SO easy! Ah screw it, let's just keep using it. What's the worst that could happen?!"

    Oh, and now I am ULTRA curious about that Shazam back-up. Thanks a lot, JT... Bastard. I expect an e-mail telling me more about how it's different than the original Shazam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad ya enjoyed mi Amigo, and this was pretty low like ya said, things could have been MUCH worse.

    Lmao right? Bats asked Cy where they were in terms of usage and he's like 1225 or something... and Bats is like, well we're overdue. Then they STILL DID IT!!!! Like... WTF?!

    Lol I'll hook you up with some info buddy... basically Batson is a dick and now he's awesome. Oh, any suggestions of comics I should do with BDR? Maybe Hawk and Dove back issues?

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry again i ment no disrespect to ether of you :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. a coworker has been loaning me this series and i've read up to issue #7. so far i can't stand GL the relaunch Hal Jordan actually has managed to be even a bigger as#$%le then the Guy Gardner from the old DCU. oh how i would love for Batman to knock his ass out cold like he did Guy back in the late 80's. thanks for the review i'm looking forward to reading this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading dude. I actually like Hal for some reason, he's such an ass I can't help but laugh at his comments. I do think eventually he may get the Guy Gardner treatment from Bats though, that would work well here.

      Delete
  9. JT, I hate to say it, but we're almost at BDR for "Red Hood and the Outsiders." I haven't read #8, but it's been almost that bad. I'm just sayin'.

    I totally did not catch the Court of Owls/GL continuity bomb. GOOD freaking catch, yo! It makes me hate it all the more since I'm such a continuity nazi. I just don't know who I'm actually supposed to be reading this comic to see. Superman is a Boy Scout, Wonder Woman has been lobotomized, Aquaman is all ooo mysterious, and Cyborg is silent. Basically, I'm supposed to just be reading to see in what new and innovative ways Hal can be an asshole and how funny Bats and Flash suffering him is? Really? Is that it?

    As you said, though, I totally dug the Shazam! story. (The exclamation mark is fun to use. I have to use it more often! Bam, SHAZAM! Ahem. Sorry.) I kind of hated it last issue, because I know nothing about BB, but then I realized that the beauty of the DCnU is that I don't have to know anything about him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment JW, hell before the last issue of Rd Hood and the Outlaws I'd definitely agree but the last issue got away from the All Caste and Untitled crap and was actually pretty good, I'd definitely give it a read when ya get a chance.

      Thanks haha, and I agree, the only person I even come out liking is Hal and that's just because he's SO much of an ass I can't help but like him! But that's nowhere near being worth four friggin bucks.

      Haha, Bam, SHAZAM! has gotta somehow find itself into my next League review. They really changed BB, he was poor before but he was like the nicest kid ever, super polite and all that crap, so to see him here as a total prick is awesome, I mean this new Billy makes Damien look like a saint and he used to call Catwoman a harlot and every other name in the book.

      Delete
    2. Seriously, I'm just going to start saying it randomly at work. "BAM! SHAZAM! I put the coversheet on the TPS report."

      So glad to hear about "RHatO." I'm excited to read this issue!

      Delete
  10. Just to chime in, JT's right, the past issue of RHatO was probably my favorite of the series thus far. I didn't LOVE it, but it was a HUGE improvment over what we've been getting, JW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finish RHatO #8. You all were totally right. SO MUCH BETTER! Shazam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. BAM! SHAZAM! lol how did you like the stuff with Tim and Jason, JW?

      Delete